Can you tell us a bit about who you are what you do?
Can you tell us a bit about the project Manifestations of the mind?
Manifestation of the Mind is and innovative in-depth arts and mental health project. Collaborating with mental health professionals and those with lived experience of mental illness. We will work together to create a series of video installations that aim to communicate how mental health conditions actually feel to those who experience them.
When will the project start?
The project will run from October 2016 to October 2017.
What will the project consist of?
The project starts with a three month residency at Free Space Gallery, working with patients from Kentish Town Health Centre to create a number of short films that aim to visually illustrate their personal experience of mental illness. The residency will end with an exhibition of the work at the Free Space gallery. I will then go on to work more in-depth with patients from the South London and Maudsley hospital to create more films and show more experiences. All the work will be shown at an exhibition in Bethlem Gallery.
Why do you feel the project is so important to undertake?
These groundbreaking pieces in the arts and mental health field will work as artworks in their own right. They will also act as a kind of simulation in which the viewer can experience a visual and audio interpretation of that person’s altered mind-state due to their psychological condition. It is inevitably hard to describe in words how you really feel to others.
This will help raise awareness of many people’s day-to-day experiences when they are unwell. People’s experiences of the same diagnosed condition are obviously as different and unique as the people themselves. These works will be snapshots of the different ways certain conditions are experienced.
What will the money from the kickstarter campaign go towards?
- Creative workshops with service users
- A number of Moving Image pieces
- The curation of 2 immersive Arts Installations exhibitions, which also work as simulations.
- A chance for me to push my practice as an artist
What can people who donate expect in return for their donations?
I am asking you to please give a donation in order to make this project possible, however small or large will be extremely appreciated. Although I have set a target on kickstarter, I want to raise as much money as possible which will enable me to work for longer on this project. I will be sending out gifts of gratitude to the people who have donated to the project,
- £5 and above – A postcard of an original piece of artwork by Antonia Attwood
- £20 and above – A A4 print of an original piece of artwork by Antonia Attwood
- £50 and above – A framed print of an original piece of artwork by Antonia Attwood.
- £75 and above – A framed print of an original piece of artwork and an invite to a private talk by the Artist Antonia Attwood.
- £100 and above – A framed print of an original piece of artwork, an invite to a private talk by the Artist Antonia Attwood, and your name as a sponsor of the project on all films and online content of the work.